Owners of the nine structures demolished on October 8 claimed they had been paying property tax to the municipal council (MC) for past four years.
The owners questioned if the constructions were illegal, why the MC passed the building plans and registered ownership. The owners said if the armed forces or the government acquires their land falling within 100 metres of the radius from the boundary wall of the airport, they will move out.
Questioning the working of the MC, husband-wife duo Charandas Singh and Neelam said, “We have paid the property tax for 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19. We have receipts. Now, the building is declared illegal. If the building was illegal, why the MC accepted property tax? The building plans have also been passed by the MC after accepting the fee legally.”
The owners alleged if the MC was aware that all these buildings are illegally constructed, why did they not warn them when the construction was initiated.
Charandas claimed after retiring from CRPF, he had constructed the godown, his only source of income, as the pension drawn by him was not enough to run a family.
Amrik Singh, Charandas, Harpreet Singh, Jasdev Singh, some of the other owners, alleged the government must compensate them for their buildings and land by paying the current value after which they will move out without questioning. They said, “The government is wrong in demolishing their structures for which they have all legitimate papers.”
However, MC officials said all owners had been issued notices earlier.